Thursday, March 09, 2006

I'm Really Me Again

I can't believe that I am finally feeling hopeful that I'll regain all of my strength and good health again. For months now, I've refused to even give a voice to my fears that I wouldn't be the same, I wouldn't be able to walk the same, move the same, look the same...and I finally feel that I am almost back to normal. I had a few very dark weeks recently...I felt like I was slipping, like I was losing my resolve, my hope, and all I could do was pray...and suddenly, the cloud is lifted. I got up one morning, I felt GOOD...I didn't hurt a lot, I didn't feel sad,I appreciated the day for just the fact that it was a day...MY day...every day is my day, and I choose what to do with it. I choose to go on. I choose to get better, I choose to let go of the anger, and to forgive, and to take so many lessons from this accident that I find myself grateful for all of the insight and experiences that this hurt and trouble has brought us...and I find myself in full appreciation of what I have, of who I am, and the person that this trial has shaped me into.

Now, I still have days like today, where I pushed myself beyond my limits and I am hurting for it, but I am not frustrated, I don't feel so entirely restricted and held back, and as though I wouldn't get the pieces of my life back that were scattered. I feel like I can go on...like I WILL go on, like my life will be even richer in some ways, because of the experiences this accident have brought us.