Saturday, September 21, 2013

Brian's Song

There's a page in your book that can only be written by me
the page where I talk about what it's like to be free
A page where you understand why I'm truly here
And that I never went away, I always stay so near

There's a book you can help me with that says all this truth is real
The space where you and I reside is based on how we feel
Gasoline and ice patches and meds that fogged my head
I don't care what that paper says, I didn't wish to be dead

My love has moved on without me and I'm proud she's loving again
My children play with me in dreams where the waking really begins
I will always guide and love them, they'll never be without me
The light and shadow veil are so thin, they almost see

Clovers, guitars and wedding rings, it's all just stuff to me
But I know these signs bring comfort to the ones who can't yet see
Love me, I love you, I am all around, I'm not above you
Trust me, we aren't broken
I hear your thoughts unspoken

Listen to what your heart hears
Let go of your imagined fears
Listen, please just listen, I have so much to say
I don't feel forgotten but misunderstood and far away

I'm not a real hero, I'm just real
I'm the sorrow you needed, but never wanted to feel
I'm the whisper you hear when you choose to understand
I'm the warmth next to you, holding your hand