Monday, January 09, 2006

D.A. Letter

Copy of the letter I wrote to the D.A. about my case. Don't know if it will make a difference for the sentencing or not, but we'll see. I think he has a pretrial hearing today.

To whom it May Concern,

My name is Lisa Kurschner. I am the injured party in the accident on hwy 29 with Lucas Fox on November 5. After being extracted from my mangled vehicle, I was rushed to Luther Hospital. Upon arrival, emergency surgery was done to remove my ruptured spleen. I was intubated, put on a ventilator and a chest tube was inserted for a punctured and collapsed left lung. Many doctors have told me it’s amazing that I made it through alive. My left hip is broken, which will confine me to a wheelchair for the next 6-8 weeks, after which I will relearn how to walk. I had surgery to remove shattered bones in my right wrist, which leaves my fingers numb and painful. My left palm was cut deeply and full of broken glass, and was torn between my middle and ring fingers, down into the back of my hand, tearing a ligament and breaking a metacarpal. My mangled wedding rings had to be cut off my finger and I’m told they’re beyond repair…my wedding rings. I underwent two surgeries at Luther to repair my hands. My left clavicle is broken. I suffered several lacerations to my face, and my nose was broken badly, and even after three hours of plastic surgery I am left with many scars, numbness and swelling, and even a few pieces of glass left in my face to “work themselves out” over time. I have a broken vertebra in my lumbar spine that I’m told is minor, but makes my feet feel as though they’re on fire or covered in glass.
These are just my physical injuries. The emotions and stress my family and I have endured are unbelievable. My month-long hospital stay took me away from my 6 children, while my husband tried to work and maintain the household without me. I had to stop breastfeeding my baby girl because of my long hospital stay, not to mention my broken hands and the medications I have to take for pain now. I can’t hold my children. My hands and collarbone are not well enough and may not be for months. I can’t care for my babies on my own, as I won’t be strong enough or able. I cannot work for at least 2 months, so my contribution to our family income is reduced to zero. To a family this size, that is a scary reality. I was a full time student in the nursing program at CVTC, but will have to delay or repeat my courses once I am able to walk again. This accident will prevent me from graduating as a nurse in May of 2006.
Although I do not believe that Lucas Fox got behind the wheel with the intention of causing my family and I all of this suffering and injury, he got behind the wheel after drinking alcohol…and not for the first time, either. Something has to be done to get through to this man before someone is killed, as I very nearly was. I don’t believe he should ever be given another chance to drive recklessly while under the influence, and maybe that will serve as a reminder to him of the life he nearly took, but definitely altered severely. I will never be the same again.
Please receive this letter not from a bitter, angry victim, because I am not that. I am so thankful to be alive that my heart overflows. I have another chance at a life I love so much! But receive this letter from a severely injured woman who is seeking to ensure that no one else has to endure this kind of suffering at the hands of Lucas Fox. If he is unable to make wise decisions concerning drinking and driving, then he should not be allowed to drive at all. He should spend much time thinking about the lives he’s altered so greatly, and he should undergo alcohol abuse counseling and treatment. I also wish that he would have to spend time with the families of drunk driver victims, to hear firsthand of the pain and anguish that this devastating decision can cause. I pray for Lucas Fox and his family, and hope that he understands fully the impact he has had on so many lives…my entire family’s, my coworkers, classmates and friends…and the life that I knew is no longer mine. I face each day with painful broken bones to mend, and a wheelchair or walker to depend upon for mobility. Each night I wake up in a cold sweat, heart pounding, as I relive the accident that I pray I never remember while I’m conscious. I thank God that I am strong, and am healing well with the love and support of family and friends, but I grieve for the life I have been cheated out of. I will face the reality of this accident every day of my life, and so should Lucas Fox.

Sincerely,


Lisa Kurschner

I should add to this that the removal of my spleen has left me with a compromised immune system. I have to be on antibiotics at the slightest sniffle or fever to prevent my body from being attacked by massive infection that can normally be warded off by the functions of the spleen. I'll have to deal with that for the rest of my life. Another HUGE impact this accident has had...ok next post.